San Diego and LA might be neighbors, yet these two cities are uniquely different from each other. S.D. is a bit more conservative while the latter leans into a faster way of life.
Moving to L.A. gives you access to a plethora of wonderful things this city has to offer – experience vibrant nightlife, find numerous opportunities, visit new places, and meet amazing people.
Although it can be difficult to start fresh, you don’t have to worry! This guide will fill you in with everything you need to know. Get ready!
It’s Cheaper to Buy a House in San Diego than in L.A.
There’s no denying that both cities are expensive. However, San Diego is a bit more affordable. That’s because the median home price in L.A. is $689,500 while it’s only $645,300 in S.D. Still not much of a difference, right?
Well, if you take a look at bestplaces.net’s data on both cities, you’ll find that:
- L.A. is only 8.2% more expensive than San Diego in overall living costs. While the difference in home values is a primary factor, only a minimal gap exists between rent prices.
- The average rent for a 1-bed apartment in S.D. is $2,237, while it’s $2,368 in Los Angeles.
- The most significant contributing factor to the difference is transportation, where costs at least 40% more. Numbers for other categories like grocery and utilities are well within each other.
It’s not surprising that expenses are insanely high in both cities as they are both major hubs in California. That said, other differences you can expect relates to lifestyle, job markets, and a little bit of climate.
The Weather’s Warmer
Despite being in the same state, Los Angeles is hotter than San Diego. With LA averaging around 78° Fahrenheit in the summer and S.D. just shy of 71, it’s a no-brainer. That’s because there are more cars and establishments in L.A., resulting in increased carbon emissions. A bit too hot? It might sound like a deal-breaker for you but remember that Los Angeles sits near some of the country’s most gorgeous beaches. Once you get to experience the tropical freshness in Malibu or Santa Monica, there’s no going back.
Countless Opportunities Await You in Any Industry
Los Angeles is a breeding ground for success. It is home to Hollywood, the central hub for entertainment and media. You’ll also find plenty of mainstream tech companies like Google, Instagram, and Microsoft that are hungry for talent. With opportunities available in any industry, you won’t have a hard time looking for a job.
The cost of living might be high, but the salary range is higher as well. This gives you access to bigger homes, better cars, and other luxuries as long as you manage to find the right paycheck to back it up. People here also tend to be more laid-back than in San Diego. It’s easier to get along with your new colleagues, resulting in better performance at work.
Traffic is Thicker, But Transportation is Smoother Too
Prepare yourself. As one of the most congested cities in the U.S., gridlocks in L.A. will surely test your patience. But the good news is that L.A.’s public transportation system makes it tolerable, at least. If you don’t have a car, buses are your primary means of getting around.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of ways to deal with heavy traffic. Find yourself trapped in a gridlock? Listen for your favorite songs on Spotify or inspiring podcasts from inspiring channels. Need to catch a meeting? Drive early in the morning when traffic isn’t stuffed yet. As you familiarize yourself with the roadworks, you’ll also learn to avoid major chokepoints and avoid too much stress.
Plenty of Exciting Places
Like NYC, L. A is a top tourist destination on the West Coast. Whatever your dream adventure is, you can expect to find it in this city. First, you have the famous Disneyland with more than 50 massive attractions for people of all ages.
Then there’s the 4200-acre Griffith Park, a sprawling urban oasis that features miles of trails, picnic areas, and scenic mountain view. Of course, who would forget about Hollywood? Make sure you drop by to enjoy TV-themed rides from popular movies like Harry Potter, The Walking Dead, and Jurassic Park.
Aside from the fun, you can also expect rich culture here. There are over 92 museums and galleries all around the city that you’ll want to spend an afternoon exploring whenever you’re bored or need some inspiration for your next project. Overall, it’s a challenge to run out of things to do in L.A. There’s always something, somewhere for everyone.
Best Movers to Hire for the Job
LA might not be far from San Diego, but it’s still a huge city that can be difficult to navigate. Hiring movers make the process easier and get it done quickly. Here are some of the best professional companies to help you out:
- Imperial Moving & Storage: With decades of experience, these movers let you sit back and enjoy while they safely pack, load, and transfer your belongings to L.A. Find out more here.
- Excalibur Movers: Similar to its namesake, Excalibur is a legendary moving team in L.A. They’ve facilitated thousands of moves, so it’s no surprise that they can pull of yours.
- Best Fit Movers San Diego: This moving company takes pride in its attention to detail and superb customer support. You can’t go wrong with entrusting your move to them.
- 24/7 Moving and Storage: For many years, these guys have dedicated their profession to providing smooth moving experiences to Californians from far and near.
- Move Central Moving & Storage: If you’re looking for a premier company that offers competitive rates, this is the one for you. Expect everything done in such a professional manner.
- Stella Moving & Delivery: Stella might not be as large as the companies above, but they’re just as professional. They offer many moving services backed by stellar customer support.
Moving can be both exciting and stressful. However, knowing what to expect definitely makes things easier. Enjoy your move!